Credits: Vegan Richa
- 8 oz (226.8 g) farfalle
Vegan Creamy Cajun Sauce:
- 1 tsp oil or 2 tbsp broth
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (48 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 7 oz (198.45 g) firm tofu , drained
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) non dairy milk such as soy milk, oat milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp flour
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cajun spice blend
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp miso , mellow miso or chickpea miso
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Breaded Tofu:
- 9 oz firm or extra firm tofu , drained and pressed for 10 mins, then sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning or use a mix of sage, thyme and oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or a mix of sweet and smoked, or use cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch or other starch
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup (54 g) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp onion flakes
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on package and set aside.
- Breaded tofu: Mix the soy sauce, herbs, spices, cornstarch, lime in a shallow bowl. Coat each slice of the Tofu and let is sit to marinate for 10-15 mins. Meanwhile prep the sauce(below).
- In another shallow bowl mix breadcrumbs, onion flakes. Coat each tofu slice in the breadcrumb mixture, Then pan fry in a regular skillet or grill skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 mins each side, or bake for at 400 deg F (205 C) for 25 mins. Slice into half inch slices.
- Make the Cajun Cream Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a few seconds, add onion and mix and cook for half a minute. Add bell pepper and mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and cook until golden.
- Meanwhile, blend the rest of the ingredients (tofu through salt) in a blender until smooth. Add this to the skillet and mix well. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust flavor with more salt, cajun spice, nutritional yeast if needed. (some tofu brands are denser and might need more of the flavor ingredients).
- Fold in the cooked farfalle and toss to coat. Switch off heat. Cover and let sit for 2 mins.
- The pasta is great as is as well. Garnish with 1/4 cup or more chopped tomato, pepper flakes and cilantro. Serve with sliced breaded tofu.
- Store: Pasta sauce and cajun pasta can be stored refrigerated for up to 3 days.Tofu breading will soften on storage, Re-bake and serve.