Credits: Vegan Richa
- 1/2 cup (96 g) chana dal – split chickpeas or use split peas
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 large tomato
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin seeds
- a generous pinch of asafetida hing
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- Soak the dal for 1 hour to overnight. Drain and combine with 2 cups water in a saucepan. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat. Open the lid a crack if the water threatens to boil over.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cayenne with 1/2 cup of water until smooth.
- Add the tomato mixture and salt to the cooking split peas. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until the split peas are tender. Mash some of the split peas and continue to simmer until desired tenderness and consistency.
- Make the tempering: Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and cook until they change color. half to 1 minute. Add in the asafetida. Add half of this tempering, garam masala, cayenne to the simmering dal and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Take off heat, add cilantro and mix in. garnish with the remaining tempering and serve.