Credits: Vegan Richa
For the Salad:
- Chopped lettuce or other crunchy greens
- Grated or thinly sliced carrots
- thinly sliced red bell pepper
- thinly slices zucchini or cucumber
- chopped cilantro or scallions for garnish
- peanuts for garnish optional
- 1 recipe Peanut sauce
For the firecracker chickpeas:
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas drained (save the aquafaba for meringue) or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt or to taste depends on if chickpeas were salted
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch or other starch
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as frank’s hot sauce
- 1.5 tsp sriracha or other asian chile garlic sauce
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 to 3 tbsp raw sugar or brown sugar or other
- 2 tbsp water
- Chop up the veggies, toss and place in serving bowl.
- In a skillet, add the chickpeas, oil, salt, cayenne, garlic and mix well. Cook over medium heat for a minute. Add cornstarch and mix to coat.
- Add the sauces, vinegar, water, sugar and mix well. Cook until the sauce thickens, stir occasionally. 4 to 5 minutes. Taste carefully and adjust heat and sweet if needed.
- Cool slightly, add to the salad bowl.
- Make the peanut sauce. Adjust consistency to preference for the dressing by adding more or less water. or add some coconut milk
- Drizzle the salad with peanut sauce, cilantro or scallions and serve.
- Alternatively, add a few tbsp more water to the firecracker chickpeas during cooking and use the firecracker sauce to dress the salad.
- For variation, use kale, greens, other veggies. Use lentils to make firecracker lentils.