Credits: Vegan Richa
- 1 teaspoon organic safflower oil or mustard or peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds (raee)
- 8 curry leaves , fresh, frozen or dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili or to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 cups (210 g) green cabbage finely chopped
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) peas , let the frozen peas sit outside to thaw while the cabbage cooks
- cilantro, pepper flakes for garnish
- Heat instant pot on saute, and select “more”. Add oil and let it get hot.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them start to change color and pop. Add in the curry leaves, garlic, green chile and asafetida if using. Mix well and cook for half to 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric and mix in. Switch off saute.
- Add cabbage and salt and mix well. Add water and mix well. (you can add in 2 tbsp fresh or shredded coconut, cayenne for extra heat )
- Close lid and pressure cook on low pressure or 3 mins (4 mins if the cabbage wasn’t finely chopped or has hardy leaves). Let the pot sit for 5 mins then quick release.
- Mix in the peas and let sit for a minute. Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes and some lemon juice if you like and serve with dals and flatbread or rice.