Credits: Vegan Richa
- 3 tsp oil , divided
- 1/2 (0.5 ) white onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms , white, cremini, portabella or mixed, 8 to 10 oz
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt , divided (use less if using salted broth)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) tarragon or rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) poultry seasoning or add some thyme, sage, rosemary and onion powder
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 1 cup (200 g) arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cup (528.75 ml) water or veggie broth or mushroom broth (add some dried mushroom mix powder for additional flavor)
- 1-2 cups (30 g) baby spinach
- vegan butter , vegan parm, a handful of chopped parsley for garnish
- Put the Instant Pot on saute. Once hot, add 2 tsp oil. Add onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt and mix and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and mix in. Continue to cook for 3 to 4 mins. Add 2 tbsp water or white wine to deglaze in between.
- Add the herbs and black pepper and mix in. Add arborio rice and 1 tsp oil and mix in well to coat the rice. You can continue to roast the rice for 1-2 mins here.
- Add water or broth and salt. Mix well. Cancel saute, close the lid, and Pressure cook for 6 mins (Manual hi).
- Once the pot has finished the cooking time, press cancel so it does not stay on Keep warm. Carefully quick release the pressure from the pot in short bursts until the pressure indicator falls.
- Open the lid, give it a good mix. Taste and adjust salt and flavor if needed. Add in the spinach and mix in. Let sit for a minute. (If using hearty greens, add them earlier with the rice).
- Add some vegan butter/extra virgin olive oil or vegan parm (about a tbsp each). (For a creamier risotto, add 1/4 cup non dairy cream and mix in and bring to a gentle boil on saute.)
- Serve garnished with parsley or scallions and a good dash of black pepper. Serve with a side salad, garlic bread, crispy breaded tofu or roasted vegetables. Stove top option below in the notes.