Credits: Wicked Healthy
For the tofu
2 T oil, divided
1 small block firm tofu
pinch coarse sea salt
pinch black pepper
For the vegetables
1 shimeji mushrooms, clamshell container, separated
1 rib celery, sliced on an angle
1/2 small white onion, julienned
a few radishes, quartered
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
1 t turmeric
1/2 t garlic granules
1.2 t smoked paprika
For the rice
1 T toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 C cooked white rice
1/2 C kimchi
1 handful baby spinach
1 green onion, sliced on an angle
few sprigs of cilantro
To prepare the tofu
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat add a splash of oil and coat evenly.
2. Keeping tofu block whole, rub salt and pepper onto one side, and place seasoned side down in skillet.
3. Carefully press with second skillet to help sear and pushes water out of tofu. Let cook for a few minutes, adding pressure to sear.
4. When nicely charred, flip tofu block, and press other side, repeat until charred and set aside. Scrape out skillet, wipe down to start clean.
To prepare the vegetables
1. Return skillet to heat and add a splash of oil.
2. Add shimeji mushrooms, celery, onion, radish and garlic.
3. Saute for about 5 minutes until they start to caramelize, then stir.
4. Add pressed tofu block to the top of the veggies.
5. To the tofu, add turmeric, garlic and smoked paprika.
6. Using a spatula, break up the tofu in the pan and mix with vegetables in the pan until completely combined.
To prepare the rice
1. Add sesame oil, rice, and kimchi to skillet, and stir everything together.
2. At the end of cooking, add spinach and stir around until it wilts, then remove skillet from heat.
1. Sprinkle with green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.