Credits: The Tasty K
- For the pink rice:
- 250g sushi rice
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pink pitaya powder
- For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 300g oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber julienned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- purple cabbage, sliced
- 6 nori sheets
- black sesame seeds
- Prepare the sushi rice according to instructions on the package.
- Add the rice vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pitaya powder and combine well. Set aside and let cool down.
- For the oyster mushroom filling, place all marinade ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the oyster mushrooms and use your hands to coat them evenly in the marinade.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms for 5-8 minutes until they become dark brown and chewy.
- Prepare the veggies as instructed.
- Take out a nori sheet place it on a bamboo mat, place 3-5 tbsp of rice (depending on desired thickness) on the sheet and use your hands or a rice spatular to evenly press it down (see video for instructions). Place the fillings inside and carefully start rolling your maki rolls.
- Repeat this step until all your ingredients are gone. Use a sharp knife to cut the maki roll into pieces and serve on a platter with soy sauce.