Credits: Vegan Bell
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 small beetroot chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 2 small potatoes roughly chopped
- 26 oz. / 750 gm. tomatoes quartered
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Select SAUTE and heat your Instant Pot (or set your stovetop pressure cooker over medium heat). Add oil.
- Once it’s hot, add bay leaf + ginger + garlic + onion. Stir and saute until the onions turn golden (around 2 minutes).
- Add chopped beetroot + carrot + potatoes. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes + a pinch of salt. Mix well and add 1.5 cups water.
- Secure the lid and seal the valve. For Instant Pot, set the timer to 10 minutes on High Pressure, with Natural Pressure Release. For jiggle top pressure cooker, cook over medium heat for 4 whistles and let the pressure release naturally. For stovetop pressure cooker, cook over medium-high and when the cooker indicates it has reached high pressure, lower the heat to maintain it and begin counting 8 minutes pressure cooking time. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, remove & discard the bay leaf and blend the mixture using an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, let the mixture cool down a bit, transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
- Time to season things up. Transfer the smooth soup back to Instant Pot (or pressure cooker). Sprinkle salt + pepper + 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Give it a good mix and reheat until bubbly.
- That’s it. Your Instant Pot tomato soup is ready. Top it up with croutons and serve hot.