Credits: So Vegan
- 80g (2.8oz) brown rice
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 brown onion
- 40g (1.4oz) kale
- 1 red chilli
- 300g (10.5oz) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp cornflour
- small handful of cashews
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and boil water in a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place into a saucepan with 400ml (13.5 fl.oz) boiling water and a pinch of salt. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until cooked, then drain.
- Cut the yellow pepper and onion into bite-sized pieces. Roughly chop the kale. Finely chop the chilli (remove the seeds for less heat). Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes.
- To make the sweet and sour sauce; in a small bowl mix together the tamari, tomato puree maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and half of the chilli with 2 tbsp of cold water.
- Place the cornflour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Place the tofu cubes into the bowl and coat evenly.
- Place the kale on a baking tray with a pinch of salt and combine with 1 tsp oil, spread out into an even layer. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until turning crispy.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan with 2 tsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the tofu for 10 minutes turning occasionally until turning golden. Then add the onion and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until softening. Add in the sweet and sour sauce and turn down the heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Spoon the brown rice into 2 warm bowls alongside the sweet and sour tofu and kale. Sprinkle with some crushed cashews and the remaining chilli.