Credits: Vegan Richa
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) water or broth
- 1 tsp oil
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) garlic powder or 2 cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) thyme or rosemary or both
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground turmeric
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black salt (kala namak, Indian Sulphur black salt)
Chickpea flour omelet/pancake: (optional)
- 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) water
- 2 cups (60 g) baby spinach or greens of choice
- 1/2 cup (80 g) sliced onion
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) chopped tomato
- pepitas or seeds or nuts
- Sriracha hot sauce, other dressing or chutneys
- 4 large tortillas or 8 tacos
- Add potatoes and 1/4 cup broth to a skillet. Mix, cover and cook for 12 mins. Stir once in between, add a few tbsp more water to deglaze if needed..
- Add oil, garlic powder/minced garlic, onion powder smoked paprika, thyme or rosemary, salt and toss to coat. You can also add finely chopped peppers or other veggies at this point.
- Toss well to coat. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins or until cooked to preference. Add a dash of black pepper and Remove from pan.Alternatively toss the potatoes with oil and the spices in a baking dish and bake at 400 F for 25 -30 mins.
- Lightly squeeze the tofu between paper towels to remove excess flowing water, then crumble into a bowl.
- To the same pan (after removing potatoes), add the crumbled tofu, turmeric, salt, and half the black pepper and mix well. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins. Mix in kala namak and more black pepper and set aside.
Chickpea flour omelet:
- Mix the chickpea flour with 3/4 cup water and a good pinch of salt. Add more water to make a thin pancake like batter. You dont want too thick a batter as the thicker pancakes will be harder to roll with the burrito.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, Drizzle some oil and move the pan to spread. Add the batter to the pan to make a pancake that fits easily in the tortilla (atleast an inch smaller), that you are planning to use for the burrito. Cook for 3-4 mins, then cover to steam and finish cooking for another 1- 2 mins. Remove from pan and repeat to make 3 more.
Assemble the burrito:
- Layer the chickpea pancake over the burrito. (If the chickpea pancakes end up making the rolling harder, slice the pancakes into thin strips and add to the burrito later with the onions)
- Add layers of spinach, tofu scramble, breakfast potatoes. Then add some chopped tomato, onion, pepitas or other seeds or chopped nuts for crunch. Add some salt, and a drizzle of sriracha or hot sauce or salsa.
- Roll the burrito by folding one side over the filling, then folding the sides in. continue to tuck and roll while holding the sides in. (see video). When ready to serve heat a skillet or a grill and cook the burrito until golden on most sides and serve. This helps seal the wraps and makes them more compact and easier to eat. Store: These burritos can now be refrigerated for up to 3 days (before or after roasting). They also freeze well for a few weeks (Sub potatoes with veggies like zucchini, peppers, cauliflower or spiced beans or quinoa. for freezer friendly). See notes for reheating.
- To make tacos, use small tortillas or tacos. Heat them on the gas stove or grill and stuff with all of some of the fillings and salsa and serve.