Credits: The Tasty K
- Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free (or regular) all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
Milky Cream Filling:
- ¾ cup coconut cream (the firm part of 1 chilled 14oz can coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 160g iChoc classic, melted
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- First, prepare your cream layer. In a medium bowl, add coconut cream, coconut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract and combine with a hand mixer until fluffy and smooth. Place in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes (this creates vegan ‘buttermilk’). Add in the coconut oil and vanilla extract and combine.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and line a 20cmx20cm square tin with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, cacao powder, cornstarch, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and carefully combine with a spatula (make sure not to over mix).
- Pour ½ of the batter into the square tin and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes and repeat this step with the second half of the batter. Let the cake layers cool down on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Once cool, add one cake layer back into the square tin and top with the cream filling. Use a spatula to spread evenly. Carefully place the second cake layer on top and press down to remove air holes. Freezer for 2 hours, then cut into desired shape for the bars.
- Melt your vegan chocolate and coat each bar with it. Place on a cooling rack and into the fridge to harden. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.